What is a Induction hardened chrome plated bar?
Induction Hardened Chrome Plated Bar is a type of chrome plated bar that has undergone a process of induction hardening. In this process, an electromagnetic field is generated that heats the surface of the bar to a high temperature. This heat causes the surface to harden, making it more resistant to wear and corrosion. The bar is then coated with a layer of chrome for added protection and to improve its appearance. Induction hardening is a common method used to improve the performance of hydraulic piston rods and other components used in high-pressure applications.
Induction hardening of piston rods in hydraulic cylinders is applied to increase the resistance to damage from external impact in applications where there is risk for them.
Induction hardened chrome plated bar： Product Description
The Induction hardened chrome plated bar results in a superior impact resistant bar ideal for high quality piston rods capable of handling tough environments.
As one of the first level chrome plated bar manufacturers & suppliers, our factory has been manufacturing & supplying Induction Hardened Chrome Plated Bar/ rod/shafting for more than 25 years, our Induction Hardened Chrome Plated Bar is widely used in hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders. Here below is the product description of induction hardened chrome plated bar /rod.
- Steel grades: AISI 1045 / 1050, 4140, CK45, C45, 42CrMo, 20MnV6, 27SiMn;
- Typical standard: A311 class B, ASTM A108,
- Size Range:
- Metric size diameter 6 mm to 900 mm,
- imperail sizes available from 1/4″ to 36″.
- Induction hardened chrome rod length: Max. 15 meters.
- Hardness of chrome plating HRc 60-72 (min. HV900)
- Induction Bar hardness of HRc 50 minimum
- Minimum hardness case depth at 1mm
- Hard chrome plated thickness per side: minimum 15 microns /20 microns/ 25 microns, 30microns, 50 μm, max. 60 μm.
- Surface finish of roughness: around Ra 0.2μm, Max Ra 0.4μm, (16 Ra maximum)
- Offered in minimum yield strengths of 75k and 100k;
- Custom made diameters and chrome plating thickness available upon request.
- Heat treatment:
- Induction Hardened Rod (HRC 55-62)
- Q&T(Quenching and tempering) Induction Hardened Rod (HRC 60-65)
Manufacturing Process of induction hardened chrome plated rods
Different from the normal hard chrome plated shafts, the induction hardened chrome plated rods are heat treated by induction hardening.
Induction hardened is a type of heat treatment process, for which a metal part is heated to a certain temperature by induction heating and then quenched.
The first step is to start with a high quality steel shaft, which is then subjected to a surface hardening process through induction heating. This involves heating the steel to a specific temperature by induction, and then rapidly cooling it through a quenching process. After the induction hardening process, the shaft undergoes the same manufacturing processes as a normal chrome plated bar such as grinding, straightening, polishing, chrome plating, and final polishing. This results in a chrome plated bar with a hard, impact-resistant surface, making it ideal for use in harsh environments.
Materials of induction hardened chrome plated bar
Here are the material specifications for the induction-hardened CK45 and SAE 1045 chrome-plated bars.
|Steel Grade||Chemical Composition %|
|SAE 1045||0.43-0.50||0.60-0.90||–||0.040 Max||0.050 Max|
|CK 45||0.42-0.50||0.50-0.80||0.40 Max||0.035 Max||0.035 Max|
|Steel Grade||Mechanical Properties|
|Yield Strength||Tensile Strength||Elongation||Hardness|
|SAE 1045||75000 psi / 517 Mpa||85000 psi / 585Mpa||10%||Rc 60-72|
|CK 45||75000 psi / 517 Mpa||85000 psi / 585Mpa||10%||Rc 60-72|
Our induction hardened chrome plated bar can undergo special heat treatment to achieve a minimum yield strength of 100K psi (690 Mpa).
when high strength is required, the material SAE 4140 can be used to manufacture induction hardened chrome plated rods.
Below is the chemical composition and mechanical properties of 4140 chrome plated rod for shafts for high strength or heavy duty applications.
|4140||Yield strength||Tensile Strength||Elongation||Hardness HB|
|Min||800 Mpa /115K psi||900 Mpa /130K psi||20%||270 HB|
The packaging methods for induction hardened chrome plated bars are similar to those for regular hard chrome plated rods, with the bars being placed in cardboard sleeves and then packed into wooden cases if requested by the customer.
Induction hardened chrome plated bar has various applications due to its high strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion. Some common applications include:
- Hydraulic cylinders: Induction hardened chrome plated bar is widely used in hydraulic cylinders as they can withstand high pressures and offer excellent corrosion resistance. The hard outer surface also reduces wear and tear on the cylinder, increasing its lifespan.
- Linear motion systems: These rods are used in linear motion systems such as linear guides, linear actuators, and linear bearings. The hard outer surface helps to reduce friction and wear, allowing for smoother and more precise movement.
- Pneumatic cylinders: Induction hardened chrome plated bars are also used in pneumatic cylinders, which operate similarly to hydraulic cylinders but use compressed air instead of hydraulic fluid. The rods offer similar benefits in terms of durability and resistance to corrosion.
- Printing and packaging machinery: The rods are used in printing and packaging machinery, which require high precision and durability. They are often used in parts such as rollers, guides, and bearings.
- Construction machinery: Induction hardened chrome plated rods are used in various construction machinery such as cranes, excavators, and bulldozers. Their strength and durability make them ideal for heavy-duty applications.